Call for Work – Relationships
Senior Editor – Deborah “D.E.E.P.” Mouton
Raising Mothers is now seeking submissions for Relationships.
Please refer to main Submissions page for submission guidelines and policies. Please make sure to read all information carefully!
ACCEPTED FORMS OF WORK
Flash Non-Fiction: Up to 750 words.
Short Story & Creative Non-Fiction: Up to 4,000 words.
Excerpts from a Novel: Up to 4,000 words.
Graphic Narrative: any length
May 2019 Call:
Raising Mothers is seeking work that explores the complexities of losing or reconnecting with a parent/child. Pieces can be from the parent perspective or the child perspective.
Raising Mothers is seeking submissions that speak to how you make connections as or to the mothers in your life. We are seeking deeply moving pieces that push us to laugh, cry, question, or reflect.
We ask that all work is proofread and edited before submission. Your submission should be what you feel is a completed edited piece, not your first draft.
Themes include but are not limited to:
– exploring the relationship (or lack of relationship) between parent and child
– Post-Partum Depression
– Pregnancy – the desire to be pregnant, the desire to NOT be pregnant, the experience of being pregnant for the first time, being pregnant multiple times, surprise pregnancy
experience, pregnant with twins or multiples, high-risk pregnancy experiences
– Teen Mother
– Single Mother
– the experience of becoming a mother at an older age
– Addiction/Alcoholism – being the parent or the child of someone who abuses alcohol or drugs
– Working Mothers – finding a balance, losing the balance, etc.
– Raising a child with special needs
– Being a mother or raising a child with disability
– POC adopting children of color
– Parenting as a cancer survivor
– Parenting with chronic illness
– Parenting and poverty – the implications of poverty, the overcoming of poverty, the experience and impact of poverty
– Endometriosis or any other difficult gynecological experience
– Seeking reproductive treatment, such as IUI, IVF, etc.
– Queer parenting and chosen family
– Birth control
– International adoption
– Raising a child overseas (expat/immigrant)
– Adoptee mothers
– Gender nonconforming parenting
– Stay at home BIPOC parents
– Unmothered/undermothered children
– Sharing custody with toxic parents
– Parenting while living with mental illness